I found myself spending more time today remembering where I was when the Twin Towers were hit. I was preparing to drive to San Antonio to see some physicians and have dinner. I didn't go. I spent a good part of the morning in disbelief and then in anger. I still hold that anger today. We were fortunate enough not to have lost any family during the attack. I have had the good fortune to meet a lot of people through my job and travel quite a bit. I had the opportunity to go to ground zero 4 months after the attack. The mess was unbelievable. The area had been fenced off to begin clearing and sorting. There was a viewing platform set up with well-wishes from all over the country that had been posted to the sides of the platform. One of the guys I work with is from upstate New York. His best friend was a FDNY firefighter. He died that day helping others. He left behind a wife and 2 young daughters. I remember talking to him on the platform by the little church. In one of the trees by the church, there were window blinds. I remember looking at the blinds and hearing about this guys family and tears came to my eyes. They still do.
I guess the one thing I got most out of all of this is to appreciate your friends and family even more than I do. Never want to think I didn't appreciate what I had when I had it. God Bless to all and don't forget....
No comments:
Post a Comment